A growth factor is a naturally occurring substance capable of stimulating cellular growth, proliferation, healing, and cellular differentiation. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_factor)
A major rule of growth factors is to stimulate the activity of gene that are required for cell growth and cell division.
Growth factor activity is mediated through binding to specific receptors.
- Epidermal growth factor (EGF)
- Transforming growth factor alpha (TGF-α)
- Hepatocyte growth factor (HGF)
- Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)
- Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)
- Fibroblast growth factor (FGF)
- Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF)
- Transforming growth factor beta (TGF-β)