Cell signalling is part of a complex system of communication that governs basic cellular activities and coordinates cell actions. One of the Biological pathway.
- Extracellular signals determine whether a cell lives or dies, or whether it remains quiescent or is stimulated to perform its specific function.
- Intercellular signaling is clearly importent in the developing embryo, and in maintaining tissue organization.
Classified into several groups
- Dogma to neighboring cells and pathogens.
- Contact with neighboring cells, mediated through adhesion molecules and/or gap functions.
- Contact with ECM, mediated through integrins.
- Secreted molecules.
- Paracrine signaling.
- Autocrene signaling.
- Synaptic signaling.
- Endocrine signaling.